Choosing to have Sleeve Gastrectomy is a decision that is not made lightly…
However, Sleeve Gastrectomy is a decision that can have so many benefits including increased fitness and health, an enhanced sense of wellbeing, an improved body image and an enriched quality of life. Sleeve Gastrectomy is a procedure that should only be considered after traditional exercise, diet and medication have failed to result in long term weight loss.
- Almost everyone will lose weight once gastric sleeve surgery has been performed
- It is a keyhole surgery therefore has shorter hospital stay and quicker recovery.
- No monthly follow-up nor needle injections required
- If no complications arise within the first two weeks, it is unlikely that any major complication will arise in the longer term
- Quicker and more rapid weight loss than gastric band
- Higher cure rate for diabetes
- Obese patients with higher BMI may need a second procedure a few years down the track
- Bleeding at the staple line, requiring more surgery to fix the bleeding
- Higher chance of dying, initially, due to the potential for the stomach staple line breaking open
- Breaking open of staple line of stomach may require major non keyhole re-operations and possibly being placed on life support machine. there is a 1% chance of this happening and it could mean a hospital stay of many months, being fed through a feeding tube or IV